Thursday 3 January 2013

Birthstone Unicorn Series - Garnet

First off I want to thank all of you who stopped by my blog yesterday and commented on my IWSG post. Your kind words renewed me and I set to work on part of  my goals that same afternoon.

Well finally it's time to reveal my own birthstone jewel - the garnet! I've even got my own unicorn pendent complete with a garnet that my husband bought for me a couple of years ago. Isn't it cute?



If you want to find out more about this pretty gem take a look in the sidebar. The first verse of the old Gregorian Birthstone poem reads;

By her who in this month was born
No gem save garnets shall be worn
They will ensure her constancy
True friendship and fidelity
.


There are two very different flowers for the month of January the showy carnation and the simple elegance of the snowdrop. Our garden is so water logged at the moment that I haven't been able to take a walk to the top of the garden where a patch of snowdrops usually push their way into the world about now.

For those of you who are interested please click here to meet Garnet the January Birthstone Unicorn and read a short extract from her story.

Finally for anyone else celebrating their birthday this month I wish you a very Happy Birthday!

40 comments:

  1. That is a beaut! Have a party hardy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely stone! Happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's my birthstone, too. :) It's a pretty one! Happy Birthmonth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Suzanne .. me too - I've always loved garnet. Now I see your daughters' unicorn header - clever children and I love it ...

    Happy Birthday and a really successful New Year to us all ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Hilary. Heres to 2013 for us all!

      Delete
  5. Happiest of birthdays - and I love unicorns!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to you! The unicorn pendant is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday.

    Your unicorn is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know it was your birthday! Well, a very happy one to you! And I love me some birthstone lore. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! Great unicorn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday! That's a lovely unicorn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for joining me, Suzanne and I love your blog. Carole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to meet you. I look forward to hearing more about your writing journey.

      Delete
  12. My birthstone is a garnet too.

    Happy Birthday to us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Suzanne,

    I note you share the same birthday month as the lovely Wendy from New Zealand :)

    I have a fascination with unicorns and I must say your posting is a real gem of an article.

    Peace and happy writing to you, my friend.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Gary. A happy and peaceful new year to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So lovely to meet you Suzanne, you are just my kinda lady. I love unicorns and fantasy writers and since you have a connection with both, you have become one of my favorite bloggers :). Should I also add that I have a purple room? :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your new blog header. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday month! I love garnets, in all their shades.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy birthday! That's so cool that you have a unicorn pendant with your birthstone!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Replies
    1. Many thanks, Carol. Your book cover is looking great.

      Delete
  20. Happy Birthday to you and a happy 2013 to you too!
    I love garnets - did you know that they're a powerful stone of protection - I wear a garnet bracelet whenever I'm going into a difficult meeting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicky. Glad to hear you are lovin the power of the garnet!

      Delete
  21. I always find birthstones interesting. I wonder where the practice came from. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fascinating to look into especially the traditional ones :)

      Delete
  22. I don't think I've ever seen a snowdrop flower. I must Google it.

    Love the garnet! Mine is amethyst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite small and pretty as the names suggests. Still none out in my garden though.

      Delete
  23. I love the idea of a snowdrop flower. I'm googling it as soon as I leave here. I'm another January b'day, so happy b'day to us!! And I'm jealous of your unicorn/garnet pendant. So pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thank you for taking the time to visit and interact but please note I have disabled anonymous comments due to too much spam!