Thanks to Lexa and her lovely co-hosts
L.G. Keltner @ Writing Off The Edge
Tonja Drecker @ Kidbits Blog
Today has been a special day as we saw our youngest daughter graduate! It rained heavily most of the day so no outside pictures but here is one of me with my two lovelies inside to mark the occasion.
Whilst I'm here today I thought I'd add my birthstone post for this month.
This month's birthstone is the gorgeous ruby. Read on for some fun facts . . .
- According to lore, if you dream of rubies it signifies that you will soon experience success in love and money.
- It is thought that rubies grow darker in colour when the wearer is in mortal danger. It is said that Catherine of Aragon, first wife of King Henry VIII, predicted her downfall in seeing the darkening of her ruby.
- If a ruby is placed under a building's foundations it is thought to strengthen the structure.
- In the Bible the ruby is the most commonly mentioned precious stone.
- The most valuable colour of a ruby is known as 'pigeon blood.' The darker the colour the more valuable.
- In the Orient, rubies were once believed to contain the spark of life.
- In the Middle Ages, rubies were thought to bring good health as well as guard against wicked thoughts, amorous desires and disputes.
- Rubies were said to cure bleeding.
The verse from the traditional Gregorian Poem reads;
The gleaming Ruby should adorn,
All those who in July are born,
For thus they'll be exempt and free,
From lover's doubts and anxiety.
If you are celebrating a birthday this month, happy birthday to you. Or possibly a 40th Wedding Anniversary?