Friday 28 February 2014

Birthstone Unicorns - Aquamarine

Welcome March, I hope you bring warmer, drier weather for us in the UK. At least there are some signs that Spring is trying to push her way in. 
A new month brings a new birthstone to enjoy. This month I am highlighting the very pretty aquamarine. Of course there is a unicorn story to accompany it. Click tab for extract if you would like to read.
The word Aquamarine is derived from the Latin words, 'aqua' meaning water and 'marina' meaning sea. Hence the translation 'Sea Water.' The colour of this lovely gem reflects its name perfectly as it is usually found in a transparent blue or sea green. One legend suggests they are found in the treasure chest of mermaids. 
Here are some other facts and myths surrounding the lovely aquamarine, not surprisingly a lot of stories feature connections with water:

  • Archaeologists have found the stone carved in statues of the god Poseidon. 
  • Romans thought the stone capable of absorbing young love. 
  • Another Roman legend said that carving the image of a frog onto an aquamarine would reconcile enemies and indeed make them friends.
  • In Medieval times, aquamarines were believed to reawaken the love of married couples. 
  • Worn as an amulet aquamarines have been said to bring relief of pain, make the wearer friendlier and cure laziness!
  • Aquamarines have long been prized by sailors as a prevention for seasickness and as protection at sea.  Having such powers as warding off sea monsters, storms and other perils of the sea. Egyptians, Romans and Greeks believed the gem conjured the good spirits of the water.
  • The largest aquamarine was found in Brazil in 1910, it weighed around 243 pounds.
  • Aquamarine is suggested as a gem to give on the 16th and 19th wedding anniversaries. 
  • The gem has been thought to have magical healing powers for ailments relating to the stomach, liver, throat and jaw. It has even been used as an antidote against poison.
  • Fortune tellers have used aquamarines to help them look into the future and make predictions.


The verse from the traditional Gregorian Poem for this month is one of the nicest I think.

"A March born shall always be
Soothed by Aqua, gem of sea
This mermaid's treasured stone you wear
Will bring happiness, love, affection and care."

Happy Birthday to all celebrating this month.

And on the topic of celebrations ...

Thanks to Viklit
 This weeks highlights include;
* Editing a short story
* Chamomile tea and chocolate - lots of! (It's been one of those weeks)




29 comments:

  1. Hee hee, I could use some aquamarine if it cures laziness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could probably all use a bucket load on occasions!

      Delete
  2. I never knew aquamarine was sooo wonderful, though, love the color. Editing, for me, is time consuming and tiring, but in the end it's a good thing. Chamomile tea and chocolate sounds like you had a less than perfect week. Hope the weekend is great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathrina. I think they are a very tranquil colour.

      Delete
  3. I love the aquamarine. It's such a soothing stone to look at. Southpaw blogged about this stone a bit ago, and told us we should wash the stone after each wearing. Have you heard that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard it specifically with this stone, but I have heard it about other gems. I will do a bit of research!

      Delete
  4. Aquamarine into the future you say, hmm have to get one and find those lottery numbers

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a big rock. And I actually knew the translation for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the birthstone legends as always. And I definitely need to try out the cure for laziness! If only.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh - this one's MY birthstone!
    *sits back and awaits flood of aquamarine-studded birthday gifts*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mega birthday wishes to you, Helen x
      Let us know if any gems flood in!

      Delete
  8. Chamomile tea and chocolate have been pretty big for me this week, too.
    I love the Aquamarine, which is just as well since it's my birthstone; it's my birthday on the 13th.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post Suzanne. I have heard of Aquamarine. I am not sure if I have seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachna, thanks for stopping by. Aquamarines are a very pretty stone.

      Delete
  10. An interesting post that I enjoyed reading. I like the poetic verse.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chamomile tea + chocolate sounds lovely. It definitely has been one of those weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful stone, and it can cure laziness. I'd say there's a great need for the mass distribution of aquamarine.

    Thanks for the interesting factoids, Suzanne.

    Be well,
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea - mass distribution of aquamarines!

      Delete
  13. Hi Suzanne,

    I love aquamarine. I could use that 243 pound one from Brazil. Would be quite the conversation piece in my living room.

    Thanks for your most insightful posting. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So every author looking for some productivity needs one for sure. Cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I never knew that aquamarine had so many neat legends tied to it!

    Also, congrats on editing a short story! Looks like you didn't need any aquamarine to cure you of laziness this past week. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is my first time visit here. From the tons of comments on your articles,I guess I am not only one having all the enjoyment right here! August Birthstone

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thank you for taking the time to visit and interact but please note I have disabled anonymous comments due to too much spam!