Thursday 13 April 2017

Celebrate all things April

Thought it was time I popped in with an April post and find time to celebrate those little things that help keep us smiling.

Writing wise, I have been working on some editing and have sent a couple of things out on submission. Now, I want to get back to a new project that I started but put to one side to complete the editing.

The last couple of weeks have certainly seen the weather improve here and spring is all around. Lovely to see the blossom on the trees and new life bursting everywhere. Lots of lambs gambling about the fields too.


Last weekend we set to and started tackling some of those outside jobs that need doing. I do like seeing a beautiful garden but sadly I'm not the biggest fan of actually gardening! However, I did some weeding and sorted out the patio pots so they are looking much neater. Hubby tackled a neglected veg patch and laid some black matting so we can lay gravel on top to make a new path. Two huge bags of gravel chippings now sit waiting patiently in the driveway to be shovelled into place . . . maybe this Easter weekend's job!

                 




Hubby and I disagree over daisies in the lawn. I love to see them as I think they are pretty and remind me of sitting making daisy chains as a child, but he doesn't like anything growing in the lawn apart from grass! As a compromise, the top of our garden is a natural area and here daisies are welcome to bloom. They are quite fittingly one of the birth flowers for April. The other is the beautifully scented sweet pea. I don't have any of those, maybe I will get some.



As well as shovelling gravel this weekend, I hope to spend some time with friends and family. It is our eldest daughter's birthday so she will be coming over for a celebrations and a game of croquet if the weather allows. We have had our set for a couple of years now and it is always a fun social occasion  to get a bunch of folks together for a game. I must confess some take it more seriously than others and our lawn is in no way a flat and manicured croquet lawn! Still the slight undulations make it more fun and you need more skill to whack the ball up a bit of a hill don't you?

Talking of birthdays, leads me to the birthstone for April the diamond. Probably one of the best known of all the jewels and certainly one of the most coveted by many!

Diamonds have always been associated with love and romance. In sixteenth century England, uncut diamond crystals were set into 'scribbling rings.' and the exposed points were used by lovers to etch romantic vows into window panes.

Here are a few more interesting references to diamonds. Fact or fiction? Well, I'll let you decide. Happy birthday to those celebrating this month and there are several in my own family. Sadly, I won't be able to buy them any diamonds but they can read about them here!


  • The word diamond comes from the Greek word "adamastos" meaning invincible. Being the hardest substance known to man this would seem very appropriate.
  • The Greeks thought that diamonds possessed magical powers, being splinters of stars fallen to earth, crystallized lightening or tears of the gods.
  • The diamond trade flourished towards the 15th century with the opening of Eastern trade routes.
  • They have been used as cutting and engraving tools since early times.
  • The Middle Ages saw diamonds used as cures for ailments stemming from the pituitary gland and brain. By heating the crystal and taking it to bed it was said to purge harmful toxins from the body.
  • Diamonds have been worn by kings in battle as a symbol of strength and courage. They have been kept as talismans to ward against poisoning and phantoms.
  • Diamonds are the symbol of love and relationships, and are an ever popular gem in engagement rings.
  • They are considered useful for an individual's balance, clarity and energy especially when combined with amethysts.
  • A diamond is said to bring its owner wealth, happiness and protection.

Hope you are all having a good April and I wish you a happy Easter time. 


                                                     Thanks to Lexa and her lovely co-hosts
            L.G. Keltner @ Writing Off The Edge 
   Tonja Drecker @ Kidbits Blog

17 comments:

  1. Aewsome pictures Suzanne and everything I wanted to know about diamonds.
    Have a great Easter.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew diamonds were so all curing.

    Yeah, a none flat lawn just makes the game more interesting indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Suzanne - have a lovely weekend and enjoy the croquet - it is fun ... a flat lawn is no good! Would love a diamond ... or two or three! Everything is blossoming ... and am delighted you've a meadow at one end of the garden and a manicured lawn at the other ... happy weekending ... and good luck with those submissions - cheers Hilary

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/l-is-for-legendary-beasts-of-britain.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quirkiness of the lawn meant fun was had by all!

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday to your daughter! I'm glad you compromised with your husband and flowers can bloom on the upper lawn. They're so cute and delicate! Good luck with your submission and have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Easter, Suzanne and I hope you have a lovely celebration. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures and interesting facts about diamonds. I wonder how often people born in April get a diamond gift?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful though they are I guess diamonds are pretty expensive for your average birthday gift!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful photos! Glad you and your husband were able to compromise, when it comes to the daisies. They're such lovely flowers, for sure!

    Also, really loved learning all these facts about diamonds, especially that bit of lore from Greece. So fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy reading about the folklore, I find it really interesting to find out the origins of things.

      Delete
  7. "I do like seeing a beautiful garden but sadly I'm not the biggest fan of actually gardening!" - You are not alone! I have several beautiful gardens but I have to fight myself into tending to them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My garden is my refuge when everything else fails. I really can't imagine not having one to walk in, to work in and to admire. Loved your spring images.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our garden (well the grass) is littered with dandelions this year - YUK!! I don't know where they came from. It's still too cold here to do any big-time gardening, but I'm looking forward to sunnier days. Lovely pictures Suzanne.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those pictures! Our growing season started two months ago, and my poor flowerbeds are completely overgrown. And this is Florida. If I cleaned them out, it would be three days before they were sprouting a whole carpet of green again. *sigh* Time to rip it out and replace it with grass, methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What interesting information about diamonds!

    Congratulations on getting some yardwork done. There is a house near ours where the lawn is covered with nothing but weeds with yellow flowers. I call them "beautiful weeds." lol

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thank you for taking the time to visit and interact but please note I have disabled anonymous comments due to too much spam!