Welcome March, I hope you bring warmer, drier weather for us in the UK. At least there are some signs that Spring is trying to push her way in.
A new month brings a new birthstone to enjoy. This month I am highlighting the very pretty aquamarine. Of course there is a unicorn story to accompany it. Click tab for extract if you would like to read.
The word Aquamarine is derived from the Latin words, 'aqua' meaning water and 'marina' meaning sea. Hence the translation 'Sea Water.' The colour of this lovely gem reflects its name perfectly as it is usually found in a transparent blue or sea green. One legend suggests they are found in the treasure chest of mermaids.
Here are some other facts and myths surrounding the lovely aquamarine, not surprisingly a lot of stories feature connections with water:
- Archaeologists have found the stone carved in statues of the god Poseidon.
- Romans thought the stone capable of absorbing young love.
- Another Roman legend said that carving the image of a frog onto an aquamarine would reconcile enemies and indeed make them friends.
- In Medieval times, aquamarines were believed to reawaken the love of married couples.
- Worn as an amulet aquamarines have been said to bring relief of pain, make the wearer friendlier and cure laziness!
- Aquamarines have long been prized by sailors as a prevention for seasickness and as protection at sea. Having such powers as warding off sea monsters, storms and other perils of the sea. Egyptians, Romans and Greeks believed the gem conjured the good spirits of the water.
- The largest aquamarine was found in Brazil in 1910, it weighed around 243 pounds.
- Aquamarine is suggested as a gem to give on the 16th and 19th wedding anniversaries.
- The gem has been thought to have magical healing powers for ailments relating to the stomach, liver, throat and jaw. It has even been used as an antidote against poison.
- Fortune tellers have used aquamarines to help them look into the future and make predictions.
The verse from the traditional Gregorian Poem for this month is one of the nicest I think.
"A March born shall always be
Soothed by Aqua, gem of sea
This mermaid's treasured stone you wear
Will bring happiness, love, affection and care."
Happy Birthday to all celebrating this month.
And on the topic of celebrations ...
Thanks to Viklit
This weeks highlights include;
* Editing a short story
* Chamomile tea and chocolate - lots of! (It's been one of those weeks)