Monday 6 January 2020

IWSG (January 2020)

Top Site for Writers
                                       Thanks as ever to Alex and this month's co-hosts

Happy New Year to you all!

Thanks for stopping by today. I hope the new year is bringing you peace and positivity for the month's ahead. I plan to work on a new idea. It's one I started last year and I'm part way through a first draft. Procrastination has been a problem for me recently but I know I need to pick myself up and get on with it! I hope that by the time the next IWSG posting I will be able to report progress on this project. 


What started your writing journey?
I think I had always wanted to write. I remember as a child writing poetry and making story book ideas up whilst lying in bed but I didn't actually try writing properly till I was in my early forties. Yes, quite late to the party! Although, for several years prior to that I probably fulfilled my writing needs by taking a couple of courses that required me to write essays and then volunteering on a committee where I undertook the writing of various policies and prospectus'. Dry writing a lot of the time, but writing non-the-less! The first piece of fiction writing was a short story that I entered into a competition and from then on I had the writing bug! The short stories led to a 80k woman's fiction story and then I finally found my home in children's writing. I sometimes wish I had started writing fiction earlier but I guess the time just wasn't right.

31 comments:

  1. I didn't start seriously writing until my forties either. Never too late!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've been writing seriously for a while and I didn't get published until my forties. :) Hey, we wait until we're mature enough to write, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was late to writing too. I don't think it's ever too late, and we have more time to write at different times in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I don't think I had the time earlier. It found me at the right time for me.

      Delete
  4. The older we are when we start the more we can put into our writing.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re-assuring comments, thanks everyone. I began to write more regularly in my seventies 🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing seems to be something we can do at any age.

      Delete
  6. Sure got there and writing away now though, even with a side of procrastination haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your new idea/first draft!

    The timing of things always matter. I believe things happen when they're meant to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't try to get published until years later. I guess some would call that late to the game as well. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's reassuring to see so many others came to it a bit later.

      Delete
  9. I was also in my forties. Our stories seem very similar. Good luck with the new idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed reading your post Suzanne. Happy New Year to you.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Suzanne - well done ... I never wanted to write stories, but I always did the admin or secretarial work ... and then on travelling the letters started to happen and so it goes ... but great you're pulling your socks up!! Take care and have a good year - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary. Your travels and adventures have given you much to write about.

      Delete
  12. I wrote poetry too! In fact, I charged kids five bucks to write their poems for a school project. Hey, I just loved writing:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What cracks me up today is back when Jean Marie Auel had her first novel publisher (Clan of the Bear Cave), I thought she was old. Old as in a grandmother. Silly me. We're living in a new era. Age has little to do with success. Best to you, Suzanne. I have missed your blog. It's good to be back. https://joylenebutler.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joylene, lovely to hear from you. Thank goodness we are living in more enlightened times as far as age goes. I still hope to reach my goals.

      Delete
  14. I started writing later in life. Wishing you progress on your WIP. I hope the new year gives you lots of opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Suzanne! I've written throughout my life, but a lot of it was connected with work, education, or volunteering, and much of it was non-fiction. Dry writing is still writing, and it teaches you a lot. Now finally I can write what I want. Wishing you lots of success as you write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I agree we are learning and progressing whatever we write. Maybe I wouldn't be writing the things I do now without an 'apprenticeship' in other forms of writing.

      Delete
  16. So fascinating! Love reading about your writing journey. No such thing as being too late when it comes to that, or any other creative endeavor. Best of luck with all your projects!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thank you for taking the time to visit and interact but please note I have disabled anonymous comments due to too much spam!