Wednesday 6 December 2017

IWSG - Degrees of failure



Top Site for Writers

Thanks as ever to Alex J. Cavanaugh

IWSG Day Question: As you look back on 2017, with all its successes and failures, if you could backtrack, what would you do differently?

Somehow we have found ourselves at the last IWSG posting of 2017. Like most of us I have been reflecting on the past year's writing achievements, disappointments and frustrations. I went back and read last December's post, hoping that would help me focus and see how far I've come with my writing this year.  Sadly, it just made me feel more of a failure *sigh.*

I don't feel I've moved forward all that much, I've been working on my WIP, reworking an old one and sending it out on submission as well as continuing to sub another manuscript. Despite some positive feedback and interest from a couple of agents, to date it hasn't gone any further.

I had hoped to finish the first draft of my current WIP by December so that I could begin editing and re-writes in the new year . . . well, guess what? I failed with a capital F! Various life issues got in the way and I've been feeling a bit run down, writing just had to take a back seat.  I am hoping that I can press on with it though . . . it will get finished!

If I could do anything differently it might be to have focused more on my WIP over the summer instead of getting side-tracked with reworking an old story. However, if I'd done that then that old manuscript wouldn't be in such good shape. I guess you just have to go with what feels right at the time. 

Trouble is, another year has slipped by and I feel like I'm trying to run up a slippery slope. 

Could 2018 be the year I finally start to make a career with my writing.? I hope so. I'll keep on working, writing and believing.



19 comments:

  1. Aw, I'm sorry you've had to deal with so many life issues, and are now behind on writing, as a result. Been in a similar place with my art; I can't help but feel like a failure. Hope 2018 ends up being a better year for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Heather. Hope the new year brings good things for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were writing and polishing something, so don't be so hard on yourself. 2018 will be better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did do some, that is more than 99% of people do. Get some skates and then the slippery slope won't be so slippery lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems that 2017 was a year or not many written words for a lot of us. Maybe this year was a year to learn for IWSGers. We have expectations and goals, but sometimes things don't work out the way we want them to. With all of us running up a slippery slope, we can extend a hand and I believe make it to the top and coast down together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read a few posts already today and I think this is a popular theme. Writing has been difficult for many. Let's look ahead and keep on going ... meet you at the top of that slope, Chrys.

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry you are feeling down. Life definitely has a habit of getting in the way of our best intentions. I hope next year at this time you can look back and feel great about the year 2018 has been.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of us are on that slope, and I understand how you're feeling. Hope things turn around for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Yes. I'm superstitious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes those moments when we think we aren't moving, we really are. We just don't see it. Hang in there and keep your routine. It will one day surprise you how far you have come.
    Wishing you all the best and a successful crossover into 2018.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat. Progress, however small, is progress.

      Delete
  9. I feel pretty much the same way. I didn't get as much done this year as I would have liked. But at least you were able to get some work done and hopefully next year will be even better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi--I'm new to IWSG, so ... great to meet you. Your experience of writing is very much like my own. I want to make it a priority, but real, massive life issues have a way of blocking me emotionally if not physically (generally both). But we can pledge to do better in 2018. Barring truly disastrous events, we will move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you're doing a lot to be submitting. I've never gotten there and have nothing to submit yet. I think a lot of us wish we got more done. If we commit to doing what we can, hopefully we'll feel more satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those old stories have a way of calling one back. I have one that I'm revising. Again. But we have to follow the story which calls us. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't beat yourself up by what you didn't do. Cheer for what you did. When our lives are in chaos, it's hard to focus on writing. Do your best. That's all you can ask of yourself. Best wishes for a terrific 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Suzanne - sometimes family things happen and for you it's an important and fun time ahead - peace will come and you'll have plenty of time to write ... for now you can mull and do what you can. Have a wonderful time over the Christmas season and I'm sure 2018 will hold lots of fun and writing time too - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thank you for taking the time to visit and interact but please note I have disabled anonymous comments due to too much spam!