Thursday 24 July 2014

Schools out!

For me it's the first day of the school holidays and I'm up early to crack on with my ever growing list of things I want to achieve over the summer. The list definitely includes writing! Lots of it hopefully!

I am currently editing an MG Cornish fantasy. It's been fun to write but I know it needs some work yet. I really want to complete this edit over the summer, it should reach about 30,000 words so I think this is a realistic expectation. If I could also complete a synopsis that would be brilliant. My plan is to have it ready to submit in the Autumn anyway.

You know when inspiration strikes at the oddest of times? We were driving up the M5 motorway last week and an idea for a new children's series started to form. Although it is only a loose idea at the moment, I am quite excited by it and would love to get some planning and research done over the holidays.

I have a week's family holiday planned. I'm looking for total relaxation and have several books I'd like to read. It's funny though, however many books I read my TBR list never seems to get any shorter! Anyone else have that problem? I say problem, of course it isn't really, it's wonderful that there are so many fabulous books and talented authors out there to keep replenishing my pile!

There will be a steady stream of visitors coming and going too, so I'm sure the house will always be buzzing! It is one of the reasons I like the mornings to write, that couple of hours after hubby goes to work and before the rest of the family start to surface, it seems to be when I am most creative and I love the peace and quite. I don't tend to be a writer who enjoys working around lots of distractions.

This weekend I am off to London again. This time to see 'Phantom of the Opera.'The tickets were a Christmas present from my husband. It was the first West End musical I saw about 22 years ago and I have always wanted to return. I hope it is as wonderful as I remember.

Finally, there are jobs around the house I want to do too, although I am planning on slotting them in around the writing and fun stuff!

So, there you have it. A brief round-up of the next few weeks as it stands at the moment. I am not sure how my blogging will go. I will probably take a complete blog break for a couple of weeks during August but I haven't decided yet, I will see how things go. In the meantime, I will visit your blogs and comment as often as I can.

Whatever, you are up to this summer, have fun, stay safe and for those of us who long to fill our days with words, happy writing! I'm off to explore the world through the door of possibilities ...




23 comments:

  1. You have a busy time ahead Suzanne, I hope you enjoy your week-end in London. When I lived in Northern Ireland the schools started their summer holidays in June, which at times were not so good. Have a lovely summer and look forward to your post when you can manage them.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly have a lot planned for the rest of the summer! Enjoy the play. Best place in the world to see a play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're keeping busy! I know what you mean--my TBR list never seems to go down...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you'll never be bored indeed. Ideas do strike at the oddest moments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a habit of sneaking up on you when you least expect!

      Delete
  5. Wow! You have even more plans for the summer than I do. Trouble is, my plans are all swirling around in my head and making me feel slightly panicky and disorganised. I need to write a them all down in a nice orderly post like this one so they seem more achievable. You're sounding really optimistic too...new story ideas...early morning writing...and lots of reading. Does this mean you've got your mojo back?
    Hope so! Have a wonderful summer xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe I'm hoping so, Helen! Hope your summer is full of fun xx

      Delete
  6. Good to keep busy and you'll certainly be that. :) Enjoy!

    shahwharton.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Suzanne. It sounds like you are going to have a busy, but fun, summer. Enjoy the time with family and I hope you get lots of writing/editing done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A busy summer, and wonderful. Phantom? How lucky you are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well you wont be bored this summer, that's for sure! lol Enjoy it :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you're going to be busy! But that's always good. Enjoy your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Phantom. And you're doing well with your novel - keep it up! I didn't realise it's set in Cornwall - I'd love to read that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're going to have a busy Summer for sure, Suzanne. I hope you have fun and reach your goals! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Having too many books to read is a joyful problem. Sounds like you have some exciting times ahead. Enjoy your trip to London. And I hope you reach your word count.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Suzanne - planning things around family and visitors shows a determined mind - good luck with the writing and it all coming together ..

    Hope your weekend was fun in London - and I'm looking forward to the post and news of London town on a hot weekend - perhaps with some thundering showers - hope it didn't affect too much.

    Books - oh the list and the shelves, and the Kindle .. all overflowing .. cheers and have a great week - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whew! Those are some serious plans, woman. I hope you get some epic writing in along with all the chores, visits and excitement. I definitely get more done when we're in the midst of the school year and all the kids are on their routine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Suzanne,

    Finally got here. It's been a crazy week of getting ready to move. My internet will be off in the next few hours. In theory, it should be working again in my new home in about a week's time.

    You most certainly have plenty of inspiration with your action-packed itinerary. All the best and I hope you enjoyed your time in London.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lucky you to get to see Phantom of the Opera! It's been ages since I've seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, school starts back up for us on Tuesday. And when I say for us, I mean for my kids. I hope you enjoy your break and have fun through the door of possibilities.

    I do have that 'problem' with my TBR list (which has been neglected of late).

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thank you for taking the time to visit and interact but please note I have disabled anonymous comments due to too much spam!