Happy New Year everyone!
Hope you all had a lovely Christmas and maybe added to your TBR pile by acquiring some new books! I know I am set for a few months of excellent reading material.
January is my birthday month which makes garnet my birthstone. The traditional birthstone for January, the garnet is normally thought of as deep red in colour but they can actually be found in many other colours such as orange, yellow, green, purple, brown and black. Associated with purity, truth, faithfulness and friendship they are also thought to remove negativity in the wearer. I'm definitely going to be wearing my garnet this month to ensure I start the the year with lots of positive thoughts!
There are lots of stories and legends surrounding the garnet below are just a few!
* Legend suggests that the garnet originated with Persephone, the Greek goddess of sunshine. Persephone was captured by Hades, the god of the underworld. Hades gave Persephone some pomegranate seeds to ensure her return. Take a look at the seeds next time you eat a pomegranate!
* The word garnet comes from the Latin 'granatus' which means seed.
* Garnet is said to prevent bloodshed between enemies.
* Garnets have been found in burial sites dating back to 3000 BC. It is thought they were placed there to protect the dead on their journey to the afterlife.
* Stories from the Bible say that Noah hung a garnet on the ark to help light the way through the flood.
* Native American tribes decorated dream catchers with garnets and used them on their hunting shields.
* Many cultures have suggested the wearing of a garnet would help calm a fever, protect from poison, reduce swelling and stop bleeding.
* Some Eastern Legend says that dragon's eyes were garnets.
Hope your 2014 is getting off to a good start. Don't forget IWSG is next Wednesday, see you all then!
For Helen who requested proof of my 'doe ears' enjoy!