Wednesday 3 October 2018

IWSG (October)




Thanks as ever to Alex
Co-Hosts this month:  



Question: How do major life events affect your writing? Has writing ever helped you through something?

I'll answer the second part of this question first - Yes, writing has helped me hugely over the years when dealing with some painful experiences. From the rather awkward and naive attempts at poetry as a teenager trying to make sense of relationships and the sudden loss of my father, to the MG manuscript I wrote five years ago after losing my mother following a long illness. There is no doubt that having that manuscript to escape to was much needed and although I haven't really done much with it, I have recently been thinking about it and wondering whether I should revisit it and work on it some more. 

On a non-fiction note, I find that writing down my thoughts and feelings is a good way to process things - usually, this writing is for my eyes only!

However, on the flip-side, I have experienced periods of stress that have smothered my creativity and the words have dried up for a while. When this happens I try not to panic as this only makes me more stressed! At times like this I allow myself a break from writing to re-charge that side of me until the urge to write overtakes me again.

I am definitely thankful to have writing in my life!




12 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you lost your parents. You might not ever do anything with that manuscript but at the time, you needed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex, that ms was a much needed outlet. Part of the reason I love writing so much.

      Delete
  2. You and I both. Without writing what's the point? :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing is a great thing, I think.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having that escape sure can help indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Writing has definitely always been an escape for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've definitely gone through those stress times too. I'm looking forward to to slowing down in about 6 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Suzanne - it's tough those sudden losses and dealing with the aftermath and change. Once I started blogging I really helped myself ... just being out in the blogging world teaches me so much and helps in so many ways ... it's got me and is getting me through - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Suzanne, I too started a new manuscript to immerse myself in after losing my father nearly three years back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Writing and blogging have helped me through some very tough times as well. Was kind of a godsend that I started doing all this.
    It's kind of amazing to see how many of us have been helped in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Writing is such a great escape, for sure. Glad to hear you've been able to turn to it during the times you most needed it. <3

    And I know what you mean about stress. My own creativity feels blocked whenever I'm especially panicked; I'm lucky if I can even squeeze in a few minutes of productivity, those days. Self-care is so, so important, so I'm glad you allow yourself to take a break whenever you find yourself struggling!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's been plenty of times when stress has ruined my ability to write. All I can do is wait until it goes away.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thank you for taking the time to visit and interact but please note I have disabled anonymous comments due to too much spam!